If you get a thrill when you watch the lotto numbers being pulled, you will probably love playing Keno.
Depending on where you play, online video keno or an actual machine, they can be different. The gameplay is straightforward and although it may seem difficult at first, a few rounds will prove that it's one of the easiest casino games you ever played.
Top Keno Casinos
It is played with 80 numbered balls and the objective is to guess which balls will be drawn. 20 balls are drawn in each game and players are paid out based on the numbers that they guess correctly.
If you are playing online, you will mark off your number selections on a ticket and that's all. In the land based game, you'll give it to a Keno attendant. The attendant will make a note of your selections before the balls are drawn. Once balls are drawn you can check to see how many of the numbers you marked off were correct and head back to the attendant for your payout if you are a winner. Of course, in online version winnings are added to your account balance automatically.
Pay tables differ from casino to casino. Additionally, some offer different pay tables for players to choose from. However, as a general rule of thumb, the more numbers that you guess correctly, the more money you will win.
You can bet on up to twenty numbers, depending on where you are playing. Some will limit the number of selections you can make to 1 through 10 numbers, 12 numbers or 15 numbers. Usually, players pay a specified amount for each number they bet on (i.e. £1 for 1 number; £2 for 2 numbers; £10 for 10 numbers, etc.).
In this game, players are paid out based on the number of catches they hit, or the number of winning numbers they guess correctly before the draw. Odds below express how probable it is that a player will hit a specific count of numbers.
Approximate odds are as follows when a player bets on 20 numbers:
- Player hits 0 correct numbers – 1 in 843
- Player hits 1 – 1 in 86
- Player hits 2 – 1 in 20
- Player hits 3 – 1 in 8
- Player hits 4 – 1 in 4.8
- Player hits 5 – 1 in 4.2
- Player hits 6 – 1 in 5.2
- Player hits 7 – 1 in 8.8
- Player hits 8 – 1 in 20
- Player hits 9 – 1 in 61
- Player hits 10 – 1 in 253
- Player hits 11 – 1 in 1,423
- Player hits 12 – 1 in 10,968
- Player hits 13 – 1 in 118,084
- Player hits 14 – 1 in 1,821,881
- Player hits 15 – 1 in 41,751,453
- Player hits 16 – 1 in 1,496,372,110
- Player hits 17 – 1 in 90,624,035,964
- Player hits 18 – 1 in 10,512,388,171,906
- Player hits 19 – 1 in 2,946,096,785,176,811
- Player hits 20 – 1 in 3,535,316,142,212,173,800
As you can see, it becomes virtually impossible for players to hit all 20 numbers. Hitting 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 correct numbers is much more likely according to odds table.
It is a great game that many people love playing. It's a very easy to play and most gamblers love it when they want to bet but don't want to get into an extremely complex or strategic game.
In fact, it is not complex at all and it's not very strategic. Because the numbers are selected at random, your winning will be based on luck.
Whether you're a complete newbie or a seasoned player, you will enjoy the following 10 tips:
- When you're playing, it's important to achieve a balance between the numbers you choose. You will need to have a certain amount of hits to win and this amount depends on how many numbers you have selected. Should you select a lot of numbers, your required number of hits to win will be larger, but the payout will be larger as well.
However, if you choose a few numbers, your amount of hits to win will be smaller. The problem with this is that the payout will usually be so small that it might not be worth it. Achieving a balance is the key to winning good money and having good chances of winning. Most seasoned players choose between four and eight numbers.
- It's a good idea to watch the first couple of games before you actually start playing. You can get a good idea of how the payout schedule works and it will help you keep track of everything. This is also a good way to note which numbers seem to be consistently chosen. Although it is a game of luck and random numbers, many people say that you can have an advantage by watching the first few games.
- Betting sensibly is a great tip for any gambling game. While a huge payout can come from selecting all the numbers, your chances of getting enough hits to win are less and less with each extra number you choose. Also, you need to place your maximum bet wisely as well. Keeping all these things in mind is a great way to bet sensibly and have a great game.
- Don't forget to watch the clock when you're playing. Even if you win, if you don't collect your winnings before the next round, you're out of luck so to speak. The time schedule for payouts and games depends on where you play and whether you're playing a faster or slower paced game. It's easy to get diverted, especially if you're playing with friends, so pay close attention to the time.
- Keeping track of your bankroll is also very important. Although the betting does not seem as risky or dangerous with Keno as it does with other games, it can be easy to let your investment get away from you.
No one wants to get caught leaving the table in the hole, so keeping track of the investment as well as your bets is very important in this game.
- Many people suggest that video version does not give the house as large of an edge as typical televised Keno. If you want to have greater chances of winning, you may want to consider playing video one at your favourite casino.
- Remember that this is a game of chance more than it is a game of strategy. Because of this, you can relax more and have fun. However, keeping your eye on your bets and your bankroll is important. When you want to have a relaxing game that you can still win with, it is great!
- When you're at a loss for great numbers to pick, you can easily choose some by allowing the computer to select for you. Or, you can opt for numbers that have a significant meaning, such as birthdays, anniversaries or something similar.
- Another great way that a lot of people select numbers is to choose a layout on your ticket. Choose the numbers that make a picture on the page, such as a star or something similar. While this doesn't affect the winning or losing chances, it's a fun way to come up with numbers to choose.
- Have a great time! Keno is the perfect game for having a relaxing game where you can still win. The most important thing is that you're enjoying yourself and having a great time.
Although there are still some questions regarding the actual history of Keno, according to most accounts, this game was invented during China's Han Dynasty, which occurred between 205 and 187 BC.
Due to prolonged involvement in a war that nearly exhausted his city's finances and vital resources, Cheung Leung, one of the Chinese rulers during the great Han Dynasty, developed his keno strategy as a means of coming up with some desperately needed cash, and fast! Unwilling to raise taxes even more, yet desperate for some influx of funds, Cheung Leung came up with a solution that satisfied both his political and military needs, without the need to increase the tax burden already placed on his people. As it turned out, Cheung Leung's newfound revenues generated by the new game managed to finance more than just his army. Due to the remarkable popularity of the new pastime, a surplus of funds was actually accumulating. These extra finances were then allocated towards the building of what we now know as the Great Wall of China. That's right, the Great Wall of China was built with gambling money!
According to most history buffs, tickets originally consisted of 120 Chinese characters, of which participants selected 10 numbers by marking each one with ink – hence the term keno spots. These symbols were later replaced by numbers and the 120 characters were reduced to a mere 80, thus benefiting the players.
It was not until the 19th Century, that Chinese immigrants introduced the game to the USA. America's fascination with Keno began on California's west coast, where the newcomers landed after crossing the Pacific Ocean. Later in the century the game's appeal quickly made its way across the United States to the country's east coast. This was primarily due to there being so many Chinese immigrants contributing to the building of America's transcontinental railroad.
From China to the World Wide Web, today Keno ranks among the oldest games ever played. Needless to say, with the advent of online gaming, it was one of the first games to appear, alongside other classics.